Thursday, 26 March 2009

Food for Thought

It is a sad day when the sight of a dented Morrison’s value can of beans is to be considered a highlight of the week, but sadly this is the world I am now a part of.
When we all left for University I’m sure my peers just as I did was mocked for embarking upon a journey of rice and fast food. But it couldn’t be further from the truth. Since I have been fending for myself and hunting my own boar it has been a very pleasant experience; creating a new meal every night, each night more frugal than the next, but still edible.
The idea of cooking doesn’t appeal to everyone I’m sure, but for me there is something very satisfying about coming back from a lecture or seminar and then spending the time preparing and cooking a meal just how I like it, it adds to the flavour and makes it just a little bit more satisfying.
Tonight for example; Spaghetti Bolognaise, a personal favourite that will see me maybe until the end of the week, forward planning at its best.
However, this will be the last of its kind as the end of the semester draws to a close, and the bank continues to inform me that I have just enough money buy a small carton of milk; I am forced to look at pasta and tomato sauce and forget the mince completely.
So next time I go shopping; a dented, out of date can could be the catch of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment